A laska V isitors S tatistics P rogram Gold country Local Society and Provincial Tourism Walk 2003

0
0
2051 days ago, 700 views
PowerPoint PPT Presentation
A laska V isitors S tatistics P rogram Alaska Native Culture and Rural Tourism March 2003.

Presentation Transcript

Slide 1

A laska V isitors S tatistics P rogram Alaska Native Culture and Rural Tourism March 2003

Slide 2

Neal Christensen Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute Ginny Fay Eco-Systems Daniel McCollum USDAFS Rocky Mountain Research Station SuzAnne Miller Dunrovin Research Alan Watson Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute

Slide 3

Cooperative Research Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development Alaska Tourism Industry Association USDA Forest Service US Fish and Wildlife Service Bureau of Land Management National Park Service Alaska Department of Fish and Game Alaska State Parks Alaska Department of Transportation Alaska Wilderness Recreation and Tourism Association Alaska Conservation Foundation Alaska Village Initiatives Convention and Visitors Bureaus of Alaska

Slide 4

A laska V isitor S tatistics P rogram or AVSP R andom A rrival S urvey or RAS V isitor E xpenditure S urvey or VES V isitor O pinion S urvey or VOS

Slide 5

R andom A rrival S urvey or RAS Gathered Information as Visitors Arrived in Alaska How guests touched base in Alaska What guests wanted to do in Alaska Visitor demographics

Slide 6

V isitor E xpenditure S urvey or VES Gathered Information as Visitors Traveled in Alaska What guests acquired in Alaska Where guests burned through cash in Alaska How much cash guests spent in Alaska

Slide 7

V isitor O pinion S urvey or VOS Gathered Information after Visitors Return Home from Alaska Where guests went in Alaska What guests did in Alaska Visitors' conclusions about Alaska

Slide 8

Alaska Visitor Statistics Program Phase I: 1986 Phase II: 1990 Phase III: 1994 Phase IV: 2001

Slide 9

AVSP Phase IV VES and VOS connected Economic unit characterized as the voyaging party Design contribution from common asset premiums Supplemental research modules

Slide 10

AVSP Phase IV October 2000 through September 2001 Overall reaction rate of 24% Our investigation in light of 760 returned studies

Slide 11

AVSP Phase IV Reports Available on the Internet at http://www.dced.state.ak.us/exchange/toubus/home.cfm Click on Research

Slide 12

Alaska Native Culture and Rural Tourism Opportunities for Economic Development?

Slide 13

Research Funded By Alaska Village Initiatives With the Support from Alaska Department of Community and Economic Development

Slide 14

Culture and Small Community Research Module Added Questions to the Visitor Opinion Survey Purpose: To give towns with data to tourism advancement Funding: Alaska Village Initiatives

Slide 15

Culture and Small Community Research Module Added Questions to the Visitor Opinion Survey Questions concentrated on guests' Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska Barriers to Travel to Remote Areas Willingness to Pay to Visit Small Rural Communities

Slide 16

Culture and Small Community Research Module Added Questions to the Visitor Opinion Survey Questions concentrated on guests' Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts

Slide 17

Very Interested 40% Somewhat Interested 37% Total Interested 77% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Visiting a gallery or social focus to view displays and exhibitions about customary Alaska Native lifestyles?

Slide 18

Very Interested 27% Somewhat Interested 22% Total Interested 49% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Fishing with an Alaska Native Guide?

Slide 19

Very Interested 38% Somewhat Interested 34% Total Interested 72% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Going with an Alaska Native manual for view untamed life and find out about Native names and uses for nearby plants and creatures?

Slide 20

Very Interested 20% Somewhat Interested 27% Total Interested 47% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Learning about and doing (in the event that you need to) customary Alaska Native specialties like beadwork, crate making, and skin sewing?

Slide 21

Very Interested 16% Somewhat Interested 25% Total Interested 41% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Learning about and doing (in the event that you need to) customary Alaska Native moving, singing, narrating, legends?

Slide 22

Very Interested 16% Somewhat Interested 32% Total Interested 48% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in: Learning about and doing (in the event that you need to) customary Alaska Native town exercises like cutting and smoking salmon and berry picking?

Slide 23

Visiting historical centers/social center 77% Wildlife seeing with a Native Guide 72% Fishing with a Native Guide 49% Learning Native town exercises (berry picking) 48% Learning Native crafts 47% Learning Native moves, melodies, stories 41% Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts Comparison of Activities

Slide 24

Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts During my Alaska trip I … %YES Shopped for Alaska expressions and crafts 78% Sought things with the "Made in Alaska" label 66% Shopped particularly for Alaska Native expressions and crafts 47% Sought things with the Alaska Native "Silver Hands" label 16% Was mindful that the "Silver Hands" mark implied that the thing was made in Alaska by Alaska Natives 24%

Slide 25

Culture and Small Community Research Module Added Questions to the Visitor Opinion Survey Questions concentrated on guests' Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska

Slide 26

Very Interested 33% Somewhat Interested 24% Total Interested 57% Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in going to a little Alaska people group or town for: Outdoor amusement exercises like climbing, rafting, outdoors, mountain biking, and so on?

Slide 27

Very Interested 51% Somewhat Interested 25% Total Interested 76% Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in going to a little Alaska people group or town for: Fishing, untamed life seeing, flying creature watching, chasing, taking a gander at wild blossoms, or other nature exercises?

Slide 28

Very Interested 36% Somewhat Interested 40% Total Interested 76% Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska If you were to arrange another visit to Alaska , how intrigued do you think you would be in going by a little Alaska people group or town to: Be with nearby occupants to find out about neighborhood history and lifestyles?

Slide 29

Fishing, untamed life seeing, feathered creature watching, chasing, taking a gander at wild blossoms, or other nature exercises 76% Be with neighborhood occupants to find out about nearby history and lifestyles? 76% Outdoor diversion exercises like climbing, rafting, outdoors, mountain biking, and so forth? 57% Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska Comparison of Activities

Slide 30

Yes 85% No 15% Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska Suppose you were to arrange another trek to Alaska eventually . Would you think about going by as a little Alaska people group or town as a component of the excursion? .

Slide 31

Culture and Small Community Research Module Added Questions to the Visitor Opinion Survey Questions concentrated on guests' Interest in Alaska Native Culture and Arts Interest in Small Rural Communities in Alaska Barriers to Travel to Remote Areas

Slide 32

Barriers to Travel in Remote Areas While some little groups and towns are effortlessly available, others may require utilizing types of transportation that are new to a few people.

Slide 33

It would make me MORE INTERESTED 27% It would NOT AFFECT my choice 49% It would CONCERN me, however NOT PREVENT me 17% Total that would NOT BE PREVENTED 93% Barriers to Travel in Remote Areas How might using a little plane influence your choice to visit a little Alaska people group or town if you somehow managed to arrange another trek to Alaska ?

Slide 34

It would make me MORE INTERESTED 28% It would NOT AFFECT my choice 38% It would CONCERN me, yet NOT PREVENT me 23% Total that would NOT BE PREVENTED 89% Barriers to Travel in Remote Areas How might using a little pontoon influence your choice to visit a little Alaska people group or town if you somehow managed to arrange another excursion to Alaska ?

Slide 35

It would make me MORE INTERESTED 28% It would NOT AFFECT my choice 48% It would CONCERN me, yet NOT PREVENT me 16% Total that would NOT BE PREVENTED 92% Barriers to Travel in Remote Areas How might using a rough terrain vehicle influence your choice to visit a little Alaska people group or town if yo

SPONSORS